What's your Nature? Project
What's your Nature? is a project to create and strengthen connections between Brisbane people and their creeks and other waterways. You may have noticed beautification going on at many of our sites.
What's your Nature? is funded by the Australian Government and has been managed by five groups:
- SEQ Catchments
- Brisbane Catchments Network, which includes 11 different catchment groups (including N4C)
- Jagera Daran Cultural Heritage Body
- Brisbane City Council
- Queensland Urban Utilities
One of the goals of the project has been to rejuvenate areas of a catchment that have been affected by weeds or where more riparian vegetation is needed for erosion control, habitat or general amenity. Another key objective was to engage the community in activities that increase their awareness of their local waterways and natural areas.
N4C undertook work for this project at seven sites:
- Greenslopes DCP
- Moorhen Flats, Woolloongabba
- Arnwood Place, Annerley
- Barr St Park, Tarragindi
- Hanlon Park, Stones Corner
- Wembley Park, Coorparoo
- Bowie's Flat, Coorparoo
Contractors controlled weeds, spread mulch, and planted trees, grasses, groundcovers and shrubs. The project ran until December 2017. We have hosted some activities for members to get involved in:
- A special working bee at Greenslopes DCP site, where we removed a large amount of rubbish and did some control of madeira vine (September 2015)
- A Family Fun Day to celebrate our 20th Anniversary (July 2016)
- A Community Planting at Wembley Park on Bridgewater Creek (September 2016).
- A Community Planting at Bowie's Flat on Bridgewater Creek (November 2017).
- A Community Planting at Roseglen St Park in the Greenslopes DCP site (December 2017).
N4C's ongoing involvement in looking after all the project sites will mean a value-add to the project and ensure the benefits (and trees!) are long-lived. Read more about progress on the What's your Nature? project on the "Norman" page of the SEQ Catchments website.